Some Jekyll Hacks
January 15, 2009
While switching my blog to Jekyll I made several improvements and fixes to the code. You can find these in my Jekyll fork on GitHub.
- I replaced the Maruku library with BlueCloth since Maruku was refusing to parse some of my perfectly valid Markdown. I should probably make this configurable; the code is written so that it can be, there is just nowhere to configure it.
- I changed the post object to include arbitrary YAML properties instead of just a few hard coded ones. This allows tags and categories and other interesting things to get passed around and into the templates.
- I added a special YAML property to allow arbitrary script output to be included in a template. I use this to generate the tag cloud you see on the left. This makes Jekyll able to do really neat things.
- I modified all the URLs to full paths instead of files with
extensions. For example,
- I added extended body support and time handling, for those of us who write long posts or multiple posts per day.
- I added a new template filter,
html_truncatewordswhich you can use to make summaries of HTML text without worrying about the markup getting messed up.
- I added archive generation support.
- I added some basic Emacs support.
In addition to Jekyll hacks, I also wrote a converter for MovableType which you can also find on GitHub. In that same project I have also included code to convert MovableType comments to Disqus comments.
If you want to see what this all looks like, I have a snapshot of my blog on GitHub as well.