Better Ejabberd Vhosts

December 18, 2009

When Chesspark migrated to ejabberd I explained how we modified ejabberd’s authentication and SQL queries to support storing users by their bare JIDs instead of just the local parts (the foo part of This let’s each vhost in ejabberd have a completely separate set of usernames as opposed to make all usernames globally unique in the server.

Since I wrote that post, several people have asked me to share this patch. I finally dug it out of the Chesspark code repository and modified it for use with the recent 2.1.1 version of ejabberd. You can find the patch included with bug EJAB-1131.

Please note that I only modified the queries that were needed for Chesspark. Not all modules’ queries were transformed. Also, I didn’t make any changes to the MSSQL queries. However, if you look at the patch, it should be extremely obvious how to make further modifications if I missed something that you need. This patch has been running well in production on Chesspark for over a year now, but I have not fully tested this updated version.

Please let the ejabberd team know if you find this functionality useful, and please let me know if you have any questions or if you run into any problems.

Better Ejabberd Vhosts - December 18, 2009 - Jack Moffitt